Almond Scallop Yams
- 2 lbs yams (or sweet potatoes)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ½ tbsp flour
- 2 cup SoFresh Unsweetened Almond or Cashew Milk
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch of allspice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 F .
- Peel yams and cut each into 3 pieces. Add yams to a large pot and cover with cold water. Season water with salt. Bring water to a boil and cook until yams are just barely fork tender, about 15-20 minutes depending on yams size. Drain yams and allow to cool.
- Thinly slice cooled yams and arrange them in the bottom of an 11x7 inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion in oil until translucent about 5 minutes. Mix in flour to create a roux. Slowly pour SoFresh Almond or Cashew milk into roux while whisking. Season with spices, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour sauce over top of yams and top with sliced almonds.
- Transfer baking dish to preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until yams are very tender. If needed, broil for a few minutes to brown almonds. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 50 minutes
AUTHOR: Morgan Shupe