Beet Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 small or ½ large beet, cut into 8ths
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp frozen goji berries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cups SoFresh Unsweetened Almond
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric (or 1 tsp dried turmeric)
- Dash Black Pepper
- ½ cup ice, optional
- In a high-powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If you want to make a smoothie bowl, add extra ice and a little less liquid. Blend in a high-powered blender and add to a bowl. Finish by topping with fruit and superfoods.
This is a great pre-workout smoothie (60-90 minutes before) as the turmeric will help your body fight inflammation during your workout, the beets help with blood flow to muscles, and goji berries have been known to in aid athletic performance and are packed with antioxidants. Alternatively, you can get all the same benefits by enjoying this smoothie anytime of the day.
You may think the black pepper is an odd ingredient in this smoothie but actually the pepper helps your body better absorb the anti-inflammatory properties of the turmeric.
1 tbsp fresh turmeric = about 2 inches
If you don’t have a large orange, replace it with 1/3 cup orange juice.
PREP TIME: <5 minutes
COOK TIME: 0 minutes
AUTHOR: Morgan Shupe