French Lentil Bolognese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups (375 mL) carrot, coarsely grated
- 1½ cups (375 mL) celery, finely chopped
- 1½ cups (375 mL) French green lentils or brown lentils
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried oregano
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried parsley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) SoFresh Almond Unsweetened
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine or vegetable stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz/796 mL)
Begin with the following step, then move on to the steps for Bolognese sauce:
- Set a large, wide saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and onions to pan, then cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add grated carrot and chopped celery to pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until celery and carrots soften.
- Add lentils, dried oregano, parsley, pepper, salt and SoFresh Almond into pan, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Bring mixture to boil, then turn down to simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until all the SoFresh Almond has been absorbed.
- Stir wine or stock and crushed tomatoes into pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and the lentils are cooked to a tender bite (not mushy).
This version of a classic Italian meat sauce is made with French lentils for a delicious and satisfying vegetarian option. Enriched with almond, this variation of a classic Bolognese sauce packs extra nutrition into your favourite pasta dishes.
Makes 6 to 7 cups (1.5 to 1.75 L)