Chicken-Style Fried Artichokes with Pan Sauce
- 1 cup SoFresh Unsweetened Almond or Cashew
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 can (398mL) artichoke hearts, drained
- 2-4 cups grapeseed oil (or other high-temp frying oil)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free works too)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (rice bread crumbs work best!)
- 1 tsp each paprika, dried basil, granulated onion, granulated garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 shallot, sliced
- 6 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary, removed from stem and chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (gluten-free works too)
- 2 cups SoFresh Unsweetened Almond or Cashew
- ½ cube vegetable bouillon
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup SoFresh Unsweetened Almond or Cashew with lemon juice to create a dairy-free buttermilk. Add artichokes and set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add oil and bring to 350 F Degrees over medium-high heat. Be careful when shallow frying and watch out for spitting oil.
- While oil is heating and artichokes are marinating start your pan sauce. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add oil and saute shallots, mushrooms, and rosemary until mushrooms are browned and shallots are softened.
- Stir in flour and slowly add SoFresh Unsweetened Almond or Cashew milk. Stir in bouillon cube, season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken. Leave sauce chunky or use a blender to puree sauce. Cover and set aside.
- In two bowls, add 1 cup flour to one bowl and bread crumbs to the other. Season both with ½ tsp each paprika, dried basil, granulated onion, granulated garlic and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Mix.
- Dredge artichokes, one at a time, by removing them from SoFresh “buttermilk” and coating them in flour, then back into the SoFresh “buttermilk”, and finally into the bread crumbs. From there gently add breaded artichokes to hot oil and fry for 2 minutes per side or until crispy and golden. Remove and drain on a plate with paper towel.
- Serve fried artichokes beside pan sauce and dip each bite in the sauce.
- To serve leftovers, reheat artichokes in a 450 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until crispy, flipping once.
Artichokes fried in the style of classic fried chicken? Yes! Are they just are crunchy and delicious? Yes!
Serve Fried Artichokes on the side of the Rosemary Pan Sauce and pair with Creamy Collards and Kale for the perfect Southern inspired meal.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
YIELD: 5-6 servings
Always be careful when shallow frying at home. Keep oil around 350 degrees F and never leave hot oil unattended. When adding food to oil, gently drop the food away from you so any splatter will go away from you.