Creamed Collards and Kale
- 2 cup SoFresh Original Unsweetened Almond or Cashew
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, coconut, avocado oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 bunch collards, washed, stemmed and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stemmed and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (gluten-free will work, too!)
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a deep, large sauce pan over medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until translucent about 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili flakes, smoked paprika, and lemon zest and sauté until fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add collards, kale, and vegetable broth. Lower heat to low and allow to cook for 25 minutes covered. Or 15 minutes if only using kale.
- Stir in flour to coat greens. Slowly add SoFresh Original Unsweetened Almond or Cashew.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Allow to simmer until liquid is reduced and thickened about 15-20 minutes. Season with lemon juice, salt, and lots of fresh ground pepper.
Creamy, braised greens are a Southern comfort food but this lighter version is guilt-free. The slow braise of greens help breakdown their tough cell walls making them easier to disgust without losing valuable nutrients. Cream Collards and Kale pair perfectly with our Chicken-Style Fried Artichokes and Rosemary Pan Sauce.
Collards can be hard to find at some stores. Replace collards with all kale if you can’t find them and reduce cooking time (in step 3) to 15 minutes.