Decadent One Bowl Vegetable Biryani
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) butternut squash or sweet potato, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups (750 mL) cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2¼ cups (550 mL) SoFresh Almond Unsweetened
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1½ cups (375 mL) white basmati rice
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) dried currants
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup (60 mL) toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Place chopped onion, minced garlic, cut butternut squash or sweet potato and cauliflower florets into a 9x13-inch (3 L) baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss vegetables until evenly coated with oil. Cook in preheated oven until vegetables start to brown, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside. Turn heat down to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, pour SoFresh Almond and water into a large saucepan. Set over high heat and bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat. Stir in rice, currants and garam masala.
- Add rice mixture to baking dish with vegetables and stir to combine well. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in peas. Cover and return to oven to bake for another 10 minutes, then remove from oven and stir in chopped cilantro. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve sprinkled with toasted almonds.
Enriched with almonds and a beautiful combination of vegetables, this biryani is an easy way to enjoy a traditional aromatic rice dish at home. A favourite in Indian cuisine, this no-fuss recipe is cooked in the oven and made with garam masala, a classic mixture of flavourful spices. More recipes can be found at www.almond-fresh.com.
Makes 4 servings