Earl Grey Tea Cake
- 2 1⁄2 cups spelt flour (I used Anita’s Sprouted Grain Spelt)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2 bags good quality earl grey tea (I used Numi Aged Earl Grey)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegan cane sugar
- 2/3 cup SoFresh Oat Beverage, plain or vanilla
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan with extra virgin olive oil. Cut a piece of parchment into a long rectangle that fits down the centre of the pan and up the sides and place onto the oiled pan. This will make removing the loaf easy!
- In a large bowl, mix the spelt flour, baking powder and salt. Cut open the tea bags and empty the tea into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and then add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Stir until combined, taking care to avoid over-stirring.
- Bake on the centre rack for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for five minutes, then using the parchment, lift and remove loaf to a rack to cool completely.
Makes one nine-inch loaf
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Nut Free
developed by Desiree Nielsen, RD
Learn more about registered dietitian Desiree Nielsen at https://desireerd.com/.