- 1 L plain or vanilla SoFresh Oat Beverage, divided
- 2 tbsp vegan cane sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp Pomona’s Pectin Powder (pectin only, not the calcium pouch)
- 1 container of fresh Bio-K+ Blueberry Rice-based probiotic
- Bring a pasta pot of water to boil. Gently lower in two 500ml mason jars and boil for one minute to sterilize. Carefully remove to a rimmed cookie sheet using tongs. Carefully sterilize the end of spatula and the blending end of the handheld blender.
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees using the bread proofing setting, if you have it.
- Add pectin to 1 cup oat beverage, blitz with a handheld blender and set aside.
- Place remaining 3 cups of oat beverage and sugar in a pot and gently warm to 140 degrees Fahrenheit / 60 degrees Celsius over medium heat. Stir in pectin-oat beverage mixture and blitz with the handheld blender.
- Take pot off heat and let the oat beverage mixture come to 100 degrees Fahrenheit / 37 degrees Celsius. This is the only part of the process that takes some time; but don’t get hasty and throw in the probiotic too soon! If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the probiotic.
- Stir in Bio K+ and pour into sterilized jars. Loosely cover with cheesecloth or paper towel, secured with an elastic band. Pectin gels as it cools, so the yogurt won’t be gelled when you pour it into the jars!
- Place into the oven on the cookie sheet. Turn off oven and leave for 12 hours with light on, to keep the oven warm.
- Test the yogurt, when tart to your liking (12-24 hours), place lids on jars and refrigerate.
- Pro Tip: Changing the pectin, probiotic or starter will change this recipe. Vegan yogurt starter is available from Cultures for Health online. If you use their starter, be sure to follow their recipe exactly.
Makes approximately 1 L of yogurt
Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free
developed by Desiree Nielsen, RD
Learn more about registered dietitian Desiree Nielsen at https://desireerd.com/.