Morning, Noon or Night Sassy Spanish Tortilla
- 1 lb (500 g) yellow or white baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large green or red pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup (250 mL) SoFresh Almond Unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Slice potatoes into ¼-inch (0.5-cm) rounds. Place on a parchment-lined baking pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Toss potatoes to evenly coat in oil. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are softened.
- Meanwhile, finely chop onion and garlic. Remove stem, core and seeds from green or red pepper, then cut into small pieces.
- Set a 10-inch (25-cm) oven-safe frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, onion, garlic and green or red pepper to pan. Cook, stirring often, just until onions are translucent, then remove from heat. Place vegetables into a large bowl and set pan aside. Sprinkle vegetables with salt, pepper and parsley. When potatoes are cooked, add them to the bowl with the onion mixture. Stir in eggs and oFresh Almond until well combined.
- Lightly coat the frying pan with oil. Pour potato mixture into frying pan. Bake, uncovered, in centre of oven until centre is set, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes then carefully turn onto a plate or platter. Slice and serve.
Ideal for a quick meal any day of the week, this Spanish “Tortilla de Patatas” is similar to an Italian frittata, and is filled with fresh veggies and tons of flavour. The classic combination of potato, onion and eggs, served throughout Spain as an appetizer, snack or light meal, is kept simple and easy-to-make by cooking in the oven, rather than the traditional stovetop method. More recipes can be found at www.almond-fresh.com.
Makes 4 servings