Sweet Potato and Chickpea Penne
- 450 g Penne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato (or 1.5-2 cups), diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½-3/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (gluten-free works too)
- 2.5 cup SoFresh Unsweetened Cashew or Almond
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and cut into 1 inch strips
- 8-10 sage leaves
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent about 5-6 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and cook for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes begin to soften.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, and chickpeas. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat vegetables. Slowly add in SoFresh Unsweetened Cashew or Almond Milk. Add kale and sage and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato starts to break apart and thicken sauce.
- In the meantime, cook penne according to package instructions to al dente.
- Once sauce is thickened, season with salt and pepper. Stir penne into pasta sauce.
- Serve sprinkled with cashew “parm”.
- In a food processor, process cashews, salt, nutritional yeast and mustard powder until a fine, parmesan-like texture.
- Store in an airtight container for until 3 weeks refrigerated.
This vegetable filled pasta is coated in a sweet potato cream sauce. The sweet potato breakdown and thicken the cream sauce while the sage and chili flakes add extra dimension to the sauce.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
Sweet Potato can be replaced with the same amount of winter squash.