Vanilla Almond Pastry Cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups SoFresh Almond Original
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in egg yolks until smooth.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean with the back of a small knife. Place the vanilla bean and seeds along with the Almond Fresh in a saucepan. Over medium heat, cook until SoFresh Almond is steaming and bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Remove the SoFresh Almond from the heat, discard vanilla bean and slowly whisk about half of hot Almond Fresh into the egg yolk mixture, continuously whisking to temper the egg yolks. Transfer the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining almond milk and stir together.
- Cook the pastry cream over medium heat stirring constantly with a spatula making sure to reach the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Scrape pastry cream through a strainer into a bowl for a smoother texture. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap to stop a skin from forming on the cream. Chill and use within 2 days.